The alcohol in alcoholic beverages is ethanol. Medieval alchemists used the word alcohol for the products of distillation.
Is alcohol a nutrient?
Alcohol is a macronutrient; 1 gram provides 7 Calories.
Is alcohol a drug?
Alcohol is a psychoactive drug, a depressant of the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) that can affect perception, mood, consciousness, cognition and behavior.
Is alcohol a poison?
Alcohol consumed in small amounts by an adult is not a poison, but when consumed in excessive amounts, it can cause acute poisoning and over the long-term, damage to the liver, brain and nerves, heart and other body organs.
ALCOHOL EFFECTS ON THE BODY
- Alcohol and body temperature
- Alcohol effects on the skin
- Alcohol, appetite, digestion, nausea, diarrhea and constipation
- Alcohol effects on the hormones and neurotransmitters
- Alcohol and pain
- Alcohol, blood pressure, heart disease and stroke
- Women, pregnancy, breastfeeding, children and alcohol
- Alcohol tolerance
- Alcohol, blood glucose and diabetes
- Alcohol intolerance, allergy and headache
- Alcohol-drug interactions